Tips On Giving your Cats Medication
Every day owners
ask me the question, “how do I give a pill to my cat?” I would like to give a few tips for cat
• Check the label to make sure it’s appropriate
for your cat and for the specific medical condition being treated. Make sure that the medicine is not past its
• Place the cat where he’s comfortable - on
your lap or a textured surface such as the carpet, a couch, or a bed.
• Kneel or sit beside your cat with the pill in
your right hand, between your thumb and forefinger.
• Place your left hand on your cats head. Put your thumb behind the right canine tooth
and you left index finger behind the left canine tooth.
• Lift the lips gently-don’t pinch-and place
the middle finger of your right hand on the incisor teeth of the lower jaw.
• Open your cat’s mouth by pushing down on the
lower jaw with the middle finger of your right hand while tilting the nose
upward with your left hand.
• Deposit or drop the pill or capsule in the
back of your cat’s mouth, behind the tongue.
• Close the mouth and quickly point the nose
down at a sharp angle. This will cause
your cat to swallow automatically.
Good luck. If you have further questions, call our staff
at Pearson’s Animal Hospital at 598-2512. We’re here to help!